This week has been pretty neat and super laid back as far as food goes. In cooking with things that I already had this week I have found so much more that needs to be made. Because I shopped at Costco last week I still have leftover spinach, potatoes & broccoli. Well the potatoes are not from Costco (I WISH they would carry organic potatoes) but I let Deacon pick them out at Whole Foods and he picked out a ton!
With that said I am going to challenge myself to use up even more and save the money for our following week's vacation. We are having good friends come and stay with us for a week. We did our menu plan about a month ago along with our grocery list. I will show everything we buy and make (-: Should be fun! We will be feeding 7 people; 1 of which (HOPEFULLY 2 [me!]) is a pregnant woman (-: They are coming in on Saturday so I only need to plan for my family from Sunday-Friday.
Here are the ideas I already have running through my mind for next week:
- Broccoli, Chicken & Rice (with a homemade sauce- NOT the cream soup)
- Creamy Chicken Soup (leftovers from when I made it last)
- Chicken Burritos (I have tortillas, chicken & cooked pinto beans -all frozen just waiting to be assembled) & a veggie
- Roasted Chicken, veggies & bread (I found a chicken in my garage freezer that I bought about a month and a half ago (I blame moving for my loss if it! sheesh- that’s almost embarrassing to write))
- Mexican Soup (we ended up having PB&J's one night last week- they just sounded so good!!)
- Dinner at my parents house
Now these are all things that I already have. From this all I only need to buy some basic items:
Fruit (for breakfasts/snacks/etc)
And that’s it! Maybe like $30 for the week? We shall see… but I am super excited to do this again- for even less!
Here is my challenge to you- do the same! Make some room in your pantry, clean out your freezer and save some money! I thought my cabinets were already bare but boy was I wrong! I think I could honestly do this for another 2 weeks!